The client had entered into a contract with a major supplier of steelworks equipment to establish a new steel billet production plant in the Middle East. The technology provider was responsible for the supply of the main process equipment and supervision of the erection and setting to work of the plant, whilst the client was responsible for onshore activities such as civil works, buildings, erection of plant and certain peripheral plant and equipment.
McLellan was tasked with providing consultancy and project management services to the client during the execution phase of the project.
The range of consultancy and project management services provided by McLellan included:
- Review of design submissions made by the technology provider in accordance with the contract encompassing plant layout, process parameters, plant configuration, equipment specification and functional system design documents
- Preparation of specifications and tender enquiry documents for the tendering of the onshore works including civil works, buildings, utilities services and balance of plant; technical bid analysis and assistance with contract negotiations and order placement
- Design review of the contractors’ engineering including basic data and basic design for civil and structural steel buildings against contract specifications and other applicable standards as well as with respect to access and operability of the plant
- Preparation of a project implementation schedule and monitoring of progress against programme; supervision of all activities on site
- Liaison and coordination between the client, the technology provider, onshore supply contractors and other relevant stakeholders
Following the design review of the technological plant and equipment and the tendering and procurement of the onshore works, the client proceeded to the execution of the stage of the project.